KAS, conducted by the Kerala Public Service Commission in the same lines as of Civil Service Exams conducted by UPSC, is a very prestigious and dynamic examination.
What is Kerala Administrative Service?
Once the candidate cracks the exam, along with the interview he/she will be entitled to a class 1 service post. The selected candidates will be posted or eligible to get posted to the second grade Gazetted Officer (Junior Time Scale), in various departments like public administration and finance department of Kerala Government. KAS officers will be appointed based on four phases or streams.
- Junior Time Scale
- Senior Time Scale ( Regular Government Employees)
- Selection Grade Scale
- Super Time Grade Scale.
Kerala Public Service Commission has decided to conduct KAS exam once in a year but in certain situations, taking into account the current scenario and pertaining to the vacancies available they can also conduct the KAS exam once in two years.
Books to refer….
- The very first reference is NCERT & SCERT text books of classes VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI and XII
- Indian History a) text books of classes XI and XII published by Tamil Nadu SCERT is recommended. b) Ancient India by D.D.Kausambi’s Historical Outline c) Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra d) Modern India by Spectrum publications
- Constitution… a) Indian Constitution by D.D. Basu b) Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth c) The Constitution of India by P M Bakshi
- Indian Geography.. a) Certificate Physical and Human Geography by G.C. Leong b)Indian and World Geography by Majid Husain c) Physical Geography by Savinder Singh d) Oxford School Atlas
- Kerala History a)Kerala History – A Shreedharamenon b)Kerala History Prehistoric to Present -Rajan Gurukkal and Raghava Varier c)Manorama Year Book d) Mathrubhumi Year Book
- Indian Economy a)Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh b)Recent Economic Survey
- India Year Book
- Indian Culture a) McGraw Hill Indian Art and Culture b) Facets of Indian Culture
- Environment and Ecology a) NIOS study materials b) Recent Events on Climate change through Newspapers
- Science and Technology a) ISRO website b) Newspaper